Lay it all out!

Is there anything wrong with breakfast cereals?

Aug 31, 2017
NutritionFacts.org posted:
Live Q&A with Dr. Greger of NutritionFacts.org on August 31 at 1 PM ET
Watch Video
Is there anything wrong with breakfast cereals? Maillard products or advanced glycation end products?
Most breakfast cereals are cooked at very high temperatures. Better to eat unprocessed grains like steel cut oats or oat groats (can soak overnight). Lots of healthy unprocessed grains to choose from : sprouted buckwheat, emmer wheat (can soak overnight), sprouted quinoa, etc. Can also boil sweet potato or potato or winter squash for breakfast. Can try pouring hot cereal over greens to eat some vegetables for breakfast.
Aug 31, 2017
Dr.Greger says foods aren't good or bad, just better or worse. Just do the best you can do.
Aug 31, 2017
Is there anything wrong with kasha, or roasted buckwheat?
Sep 1, 2017
Dry heating like roasting is not most optimal, but a whole food plant diet is full of vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients, so just do your best. Someone said raw buckwheat (white rather than brown) tastes even nicer.
Roasting and baking produces some carcinogens so better to steam or boil.
Sep 1, 2017
natureasintended said:
Dry heating like roasting is not most optimal, but a whole food plant diet is full of vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients, so just do your best. Someone said raw buckwheat (white rather than brown) tastes even nicer.
The brown buckwheat tastes a lot better
Sep 1, 2017
colonyofcells de la machine No, you still have to boil it to eat it. It's just that the roasted buckwheat is a darker color. It's still hard like rocks just like the lighter unroasted buckwheat. Does this mean that it's not roasted enough to be harmful?
I used to buy sprouted buckwheat (raw) from the internet and I just boil them. Roasting grains creates much less carcinogens compared to animal products, so can probably continue to eat roasted grains if you really like roasted grains. I know kasha is a traditional food and I also want to respect tradition. Some raw vegans eat too much raw buckwheat sprouts which can cause the skin to become too sensitive to sunshine.